Thursday 5 March 2015

Hidden gems: Banana Leaf restaurant

I don't usually go for Indian food when I eat out. Being a nut allergy sufferer, it tends to be a bit of a danger zone for me, so I steer clear. However when my friends suggested going for a meal to what has been described as 'the best Indian in Glasgow' - how could I resist?



Banana Leaf doesn't look like much from the outside. Hidden away on Old Dumbarton Road, in between tenement flats and across the road from a nameless pub and corner stores, you'd walk right past its faded sign without so much as a glance.



The inside isn't much to write home about, either. A tiny space,  with only four tables and waiting room chairs, wood-panelled walls and a rickety sliding door toilet which pushes out more than it slides across!

As for decoration, a solitary, rather sad looking plant sits on the window sill and a painting of a typical South Indian scene hangs on the wall, the only glimpse into the exotic world of cuisine where the Banana Leaf promises to take you.


But the menu tells a different story - the prices are insanely good for what you get and the choices are endless. Dosas, pakora, dahl, chapati, saag, kofta... All 6 of us ordered a starter and a main course each so we could try a bit of everything.

The Banana Leaf also has a BYOB policy, so we stocked up at Tesco before we arrived.



When the food came, I was blown away by how good it was. It isn't often a restaurant impresses me this much! The quality of my Palak Paneer was another level of awesome. So tasty, and there was so much of it!

If you're ever in the West end of Glasgow and looking for somewhere cheap for dinner, you want to try something new (this is not your typical Glasgow Indian) or you're a foodie and you fancy sampling some of the best curry you'll ever eat (that's a promise!) then definitely check out Banana Leaf

2 comments :

  1. This is one thing I love about Glasgow, all the little hidden gems! Fantastic post defo one to try x

    http://angelahamilton2014.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much! I know, me too! I love that there's always new places to try :D

    ReplyDelete