Tuesday 17 April 2018

Ox and Finch, Finnieston's finest

Like most millennials my age, I am partial to a list. Every time someone says 'You NEED to watch (insert name of new and popular film/TV show)' I add it to my list. I also have a list for books and podcasts, and for restaurants too.

Living in Glasgow is great- there are so many new places opening up all the time (it feels relentless) and for the real gems you don't have to stick to the west end or city centre any more - there are super cool cafes, brunch spots and New York inspired eateries in Dennistoun, South of the river and beyond. Which can be tricky, especially if you're a foodie like me, you love a gimmick and you're a sucker for advertising and hype (guilty..)

Anyway, I've been meaning to try Ox and Finch in Finnieston for a while now. It's one of those places you only hear good things about, and it always crops up on the list of recommendations when people are looking for places to dine in Glasgow.

With so many options now it felt like a safe choice and I was excited to finally try it out over the weekend. It definitely didn't disappoint!


I was slightly wary of the 'small plates' approach to the menu - this can be hit or miss sometimes, but it really worked here. We went for five dishes between two and it was more than enough.

The scallops were melt in the mouth incredible (much like the courses to follow). I liked how they didn't bring everything at once which can sometimes be quite overwhelming.


Next was coley with chorizo and grilled chicory, followed by slow-cooked lamb shoulder with bulgur wheat, apricots and mint yoghurt. I think this one might have been my favourite, it was so good!


The braised pork cheek with polenta (which I recently discovered in Italy and now love) and salsa verde was divine too. Definitely worth a trip here for these two dishes alone!


I had a delicious South African semillon sauvignon with my dinner from a decent selection of reasonably priced drinks. I liked that I could order a carafe of my wine! Always good when you don't want a full bottle but a glass just won't cut it.


Before and after


For a special occasion, this place is such a winner. I'd definitely go back - it feels cool and modern and the food is just really tasty. I forgot to photograph the quirky toilets so you'll need to go there to see what I mean!

So next time you're in Finnieston, sipping on cocktails or having a pint in the Park Bar (either one works for pre-dinner drinks) consider Ox and Finch. Or, if you're in Edinburgh, BABA is their sister restaurant. 





No comments :

Post a Comment